Thermodynamics, Molecular Modeling, Properties of Fluids at Nanoscale
Sudhir Kumar Singh is Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering at Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology (TIET), Patiala since March 2018. He has joined the department on June 1, 2012 as Assistant Professor. He has worked as project semester coordinator in chemical engineering department from the year 2014 to 2015. He is working as UG coordinator since September 2016. Sudhir has also worked as a DAE-ICT scientist at the Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, India, for a year before joining the TIET, Patiala. Sudhir has got his B. Tech. in Chemical Engineering from the University Institute of Engineering and Technology, CSJM University Kanpur, in 2003 and M. Tech. in Chemical Technology with specialization in Oil Technology from Harcourt Butler Technological Institute (HBTI), Kanpur, in 2005. He obtained Doctorate degree (Ph.D.) in Chemical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India in 2011. Sudhir researches focus on nanomaterials and studies on thermodynamic properties of bulk and nanoconfined fluids using molecular simulation techniques.
- Ph.D. (IIT Kanpur, 2011) in Chemical Engineering Thesis title: Phase Equilibria and Interfacial Properties of Confined Fluids.
- M. Tech in Chemical Technology (Oil Technology, 2005)/HBTI Kanpur /First class
- B.Tech. in Chemical Engineering (2003) / UIET, CSJM University Kanpur / First class
Experience: Total Teaching Experience 8 years
- June 2011 to May 2012: DAE-ICT Scientist, Institute of Chemical Technology, Matunga, Mumbai.
- June1, 2012 to March 12, 2018: Assistant Professor, Chemical Engineering Department, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala.
- March, 2018 to till date: Associate Professor, Chemical Engineering Department, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala.
- Material and Energy Balances
- Energy Resources
- Molecular Modeling and Simulation
- Thermodynamic Properties of Bulk and Nanoconfined Fluids
- Molecular Modeling and Simulations
- Nanoporous Materials and Sorption
Google citation index
- Sudhir K. Singh and Jayant K. Singh, 'Molecular Modeling of Capillary Condensation in Porous Materials' in the book titled ‘Molecular Modeling for the Design of Novel Performance Chemicals and Materials’, B. Rai (Ed.), CRC press, Taylor and Francis Group, U.K., (2012) (ISBN: 978-1439840788): Chapter 8, Page 243-268.
- Sudhir K. Singh, A. Mehta, Corresponding state behaviour of capillary condensation of confined alkanes, Molecular Simulation, (2019), Vol-45, No.-13, P: 1014-1028.
- Sudhir K. Singh, Critical temperature estimation of nanoconfined methane using vapour-liquid surface free energy, International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology, (2019), Vol-14, No.-1, P: 011-015.
- Sudhir K. Singh, Critical temperature estimation of bulk and confined atomic fluid using vapour-liquid interfacial free energy, Molecular Simulation, (2018), Vol-44, No.-2, P: 156-163.
- Sudhir K. Singh, Corresponding states vapour–liquid phase equilibria of confined square–well fluid, Molecular Simulation, (2017), Vol-43, No.-12, P: 914-925.
- Sudhir K. Singh, Effect of surface-screening parameter of the Yukawa potential model on vapour–liquid phase coexistence and critical-point properties of confined Yukawa fluid, Molecular Simulation, (2016), Vol-42, No-5, P-413-419.
- Sudhir K. Singh and J.K. Singh , A comparative study of critical temperature estimation of atomic fluid and chain molecules using fourth-order Binder cumulant and simplified scaling laws, Molecular Simulation , (2013), Vol-39, No-2, P-154-159.
- Sudhir K. Singh and J.K. Singh, Effect of pore morphology on vapor-liquid phase transition and crossover behavior of critical properties from 3D to 2D, Fluid Phase Equilibria, (2011), Vol-300, P-182-187.
- Sudhir K. Singh, S. Khan, S. Jana and J.K. Singh, Vapor-liquid phase equilibria of simple fluids confined in patterned slit pores, Molecular Simulation, (2011), Vol-37, No. 5, P:350-360.
- Sudhir K. Singh, J.K. Singh, S.K. Kwak and G. Deo, Phase transition and crossover behavior of colloidal fluids under confinement, Chemical Physics Letters, (2010), Vol-494, P:182-187.
- C. Ravikumar, Sudhir K. Singh and R. Bandyopadhyaya, Formation of nanoparticles of water- soluble molecules: Experiments and Mechanism, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, (2010), Vol-114, P: 8806-8813.
- Sudhir K. Singh, A.K. Saha and J.K. Singh, A molecular simulation study of vapor-liquid critical properties of a simple fluid in attractive slit pores: Cross over from 3D to 2D, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, (2010), Vol-114, P: 4283-4292.
- Sudhir K. Singh, A. Sinha, G. Deo and J.K. Singh, Vapor-liquid phase coexistence, critical properties and Surface tension of confined alkanes, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, (2009), Vol-113, P: 7170-7180.
- Sudhir K. Singh, J.K. Singh and G. Deo, Effect of surface characteristics and pore size of nano confinements on the thermophysical properties of natural gas components, Int. Journal of Chemical Sciences, (2007), Vol-5, No-4, P:1745-1754.
- Sudhir K. Singh, M. Bajpai and V.K. Tyagi, Amine Oxides: A Review, Journal of Oleo Science, (2006), Vol-55, P: 99-119.
- Sudhir K. Singh and M. Bajpai, Effect of solvent on the synthesis of linear alkyl benzene sulphonamidoamine oxide, Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, (2006), Vol-38, No.1, P: 6-8.
- Google citation index
International Conferences (held outside India)
- Sudhir K. Singh, ‘Critical temperature estimation of nanoconfined methane using vapour-liquid surface free energy’ ICRMR-2019, June 29-30, 2019, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary, Europe.
- Sudhir K. Singh and J.K. Singh, “Effect of pore morphology on phase transitions and crossover behavior”, Properties and Phase Equilibria for Product and Process Design, PPEPPD 2010, May 16-21, 2010, Suzhou, Jiangsu, China.
- Sudhir K. Singh and J.K. Singh, “Critical Properties of fluids in nanopores: Crossover from 3D to 2D”, Thermodynamics 2009, September 23-25, 2009, Imperial College London, UK .
- Sudhir K. Singh, S. Jana, S.K. Kwak and J.K. Singh, “Thermophysical properties of confined fluids”, AICHE, Annual Meeting, November 16-21, 2008, Philadelphia, USA.
- S.K. Singh, ‘Critical Temperature Estimation of Nanoconfined Fluid: A Molecular Simulation Approach’, CHEMCON 2018, December 2018, Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar.
- S.K. Singh, ‘Deviations from corresponding-states behaviour in the vapor-liquid equilibrium of the confined atomic fluid’, CHEMCON 2016, December 2016, Anna University, Chennai .
- S.K. Singh, D. Sharma, M. Ghosh ‘Removal of Iron from aqueous waste using exobiopolymer’ Advances in Chemical and Environmental Engineering (ACEE’16) held at National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar during April 2016.
- S.K. Singh, ‘Effect of confining wall screening parameter on the Vapor-liquid phase coexistence properties of Yukawa fluid’, CHEMCON 2015, December 2015, IIT Guwahati.
- S.K. Singh, ‘Effect of Nanopatterning on Phase Transitions’, CHEMCON 2014, December 2014, Dr. S.S. Bhatnagar University Institute of Chemical Engineering & Technology, Punjab University, Chandigarh.
- S.K. Singh, ‘Surface Tension of Nanoconfined Fluid: A Molecular Simulation Study’, CHEMCON 2013, December 2013, ICT Mumbai, India.
- S.K. Singh, ‘Effect of Dimensionality on Vapor-liquid Phase Transition’, 58th DAE-Solid State Physics Symposium, December 2013, Thapar University Patiala.
- S.K. Singh, ‘Development of Gypsum Powder Admixture for Exterior Wall Plaster’, International Conference on Powder, Granule and Bulk Solids: Innovations and Applications (PGBSIA), November 2013, Thapar University Patiala.
- S.K. Singh and J.K. Singh, ‘Comparative studies on critical temperature estimation of atomic fluid and chain molecules using two different approaches’, CHEMCON 2012, December 2012,NIT Jalandhar, India.
- S.K. Singh, ‘Phase transition and interfacial properties of fluids in nanopore’, 19th National Conference on Liquid crystals, November 2012, Thapar University, Patiala, India.
- S.K.Singh, M.V.P. Srinivas and J.K. Singh, “Design of novel materials for the separation of organic impurities from aqueous medium”, International Conference on Environmental Health and Technology, March 2010, IIT Kanpur, India.
- S.K. Singh, R. Srivastava and J.K. Singh, “Phase diagram of fluids confined at nanoscale”, IITK, REACH Symposium, October 2010, IIT Kanpur, India.
- S.K.Singh and J.K. Singh, “Vapor-liquid critical and interfacial properties of semi-flexible chain molecules in nanopores-A molecular modeling study”, FourthAsian Conference on Particle Technology (APT), Symposium, Septmber 2009, New Delhi, India.
- S.K. Singh, R. Bandyopadhyaya and J.K. Singh, “Significance of pore size and porosity of mesoporous materials over its surface area for separation of vegetable oil from an aqueous solution”, International Conference on Separation Process (ICSP), October 2009, Institute of Technology Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India.
- S.K. Singh, S. Jana, J.K. Singh, “Critical properties of fluids in nanopores”, CHEMCON 2008, December 2008, Punjab University, Chandigarh, India.
- S.K. Singh, J.K. Singh, G. Deo, “Effect of nano confinements on the thermophysical properties of n-Alkanes”, ChEmference 2008, July 2008, IIT Kanpur, India.
- S.K. Singh, J.K. Singh and G. Deo, “Effect of pore size and nano confinements on the thermophysical properties of natural gas components”, NCFCE 2007, December 2007, IIT Guwahati, India.
- Tailoring of Nanostructure for Reversible Hydrogen Storage: Molecular Simulation as a Guiding Tool. Funding Agency: UGC-BSR Start-Up Grant (Rs.6.0 Lac); (Year: 2013-2015).
- Development of Water Resistant Plaster from Gypsum: Funding Agency: SEED Grant, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala (Rs. 1.0 Lac); (Year: 2012-2013).
Membership of Professional Institutions, Associations, Societies
- Life time member of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers (IIChE)
Achievement, Awards and Recognitions
- Chaired a technical session during international conference “ICRMR-2019” held at Central European University Budapest, Hungary, Europe during June 29-30, 2019.
- Chairperson of a technical session during international conference on “Seamless Chemical Engineering in service of humanity: Innovations, Opportunities & Challenges” during CHEMCON-2018 held at Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar, Punjab, India during December 27-30, 2018.
- Chaired a technical session in a national conference on “Advances in Chemical and Environmental Engineering (ACEE’16)” held at Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar during April 22-23, 2016.
- Received PIS award from Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala in the year 2015.
- Convener of the Workshop on Molecular Modeling ‘ICTMM-2012’, held during January 28 to February 01, 2012 at the Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT) Mumbai.
- Student Session Chair for a session on ‘Bio Process Engineering’ in a national level conference ‘ChEmference 2010’, organized by research scholars of the department of chemical engineering IIT Kanpur, held on July 13 – 14, 2010.
- Best oral presentation award in the session ‘Perspective and Challenges in Chemical Engineering’ in the ChEmference-2008 held during July 5 to 6, at IIT Kanpur.
- Best paper presentation award in the ‘nanotechnology’ session, in National Conference on Frontiers in Chemical Engineering (NCFCE- 2007) held during December 12 to 14, at IIT- Guwahati.
- Graduate Research Scholarship (JRF & SRF) MHRD, Government of India.
- Integrated scholarship for ‘High School’ and ‘Intermediate’ from the Government of Uttar Pradesh, India.
Message to Students & Community
I am a learner too. We need to support each other in that.