Reaction Engineering and Catalysis, Mass Transfer, Petroleum Refining
Dr. Sanghamitra Barman is an Associate Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering, at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, Punjab, India. Dr. Barman joined the Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering in February 2008. She has studied Bachelor of Chemical Engineering from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, and Masters of Chemical Engineering from the same institute. She was awarded a Ph.D. degree from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur in 2006. She has supervised 14 master’s students and 5 Ph.D. students out of which 2 Ph.D. students were awarded the Ph.D. degree, one student submitted her thesis and others are pursuing ph.D. Her research interests include environmentally benign heterogeneous catalysis in Petrochemical and Refinery catalytic processes, Catalyst design, Advanced oxidation Process, Separation Process, Waste-water treatment. She has 37 publications in international journals of repute.
- Ph.D. (IIT Kharagpur in Chemical Engineering)
- M. Tech in Chemical Engineering(JU) 1st class
- B.Tech. in Chemical Engineering(JU) 1st class
- Higher Secondary, 1st division
- Secondary, 1st division
Experience: Total Teaching Experience 15 years
- January 2006; December 2007: Lecturer, Chemical Engineering Department, Calcutta Institute of Technology, WBUT.
- February 2008 ; May 2009: Lecturer , Chemical Engineering Department, Thapar University
- May 2009; July 2015: Assistant Professor , Chemical Engineering Department, Thapar University
- July 2015; till date : Associate Professor , Chemical Engineering Department, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Mass Transfer I
- Mass transfer II
- Chemical Reaction Engineering-II
- Advance Separation Process
- Chemical Reactor Analysis
- Petroleum Refinning
- Fluid and Particle Mechanics
- Heterogeneous Reaction and Catalysis
- Advance photo-oxidation
- Adsorptive separation
- Waste water treatment
- Department Placement Co-ordinator(2017-2021)
- Department PG Co-ordinator(2018-2020)
- Department Industrial visit Co-Ordinator(2019-till date)
- Chairman, Quality Monitoring Committee,TIET(2016-2017)
- Member of central shop and purchase committee (2013-2016),TIET
- Web site administrator (CHED)(2012-2015,2021)
- Project Semester Co-ordinator (2010-2011)
- Six week training Co-ordinator (2010-2011)
Projects (Principle Investigator)
- Transalkylation of Di-isopropyl benzene over modified zeolite catalyst: A kinetic Study Rs 23.60 Lac, Department of science and Technology (2013-2016)
- Synthesis of cumene by transalkylation of 1,4 DIPB with benzene was studied over cerium modified nano crystalline zeolite X. A fixed bed plug flow reactor was used to study the gas phase reaction. Nano crystalline zeolite X was synthesized and characterized by XRD, FTIR. Transalkylation of DIPB with benzene results 27.12 % yield of cumene over cerium modified nano X zeolite at temperature 553K, benzene/1, 4 DIPB mole ratio of 7.5 and space time-10.54 kg h/kmol. Reduction of crystal size increases surface area for reaction and thereby increases cumene yield li>
- Applicatin of nano zeolite for the removal of novel contaminants from waste water, Rs.8.11 Lacs. University Grant Commission (2013-2016).
- Five different types of nano-zeolites (NaA, NaX, NaY, beta and ZSM-5) were synthesized, characterized and then employed for the effective removal of these emerging endocrine disruptor compounds from aqueous phase. The batch adsorption process was used to study various parameters such as pH (2-12), temperature (20-55°C), adsorbent dose (0.1-2 g/L), stirring speed (50-300 rpm), contact time (15-420 min) and initial adsorbate concentration (1-30 mg/L) for endocrine disrupting compounds from aqueous phase by nano-zeolites. Solution pH and initial adsorbate concentration had an important impact on EDCs adsorption onto prepared nano-zeolites with optimal removal (90–95%).
- Ray Z., Halder G. Barman S., Carbon dioxide sorptive cooling in substitute model refrigeration system for replacing halogenated refrigerants, Environmental Technology & Innovation. 23, 2021,101636 (IF 3.4)
- Puri S., Thakur I., Verma A., Barman S, Degradation of pharmaceutical drug paracetamol via UV irradiation using Fe-TiO2 composite photocatalyst: statistical analysis and parametric optimization. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 2021, doi.org/10.1007/s11356-021-13895-6, (IF 3.06)
- Sharma J., Gir Sharma J., Giri B., Rawat M., Chandra A., Barman S., Arya R.K., Effect of Surfactant on Drying & Rheology of Poly(vinyl alcohol) - Water Coatings accepted for publication in Drying Technology, DOI: 10.1080/07373937.2021.1923025. 2021 (IF 2.9)
- Rathi A, Basu S., Barman S., Structural framework effect of various CeO2-loaded zeolites on the adsorptive removal of fipronil. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 9(2) (2021)105167, (IF-4.3)
- Thakre, P. N., Mukherjee S., Samanta, S., Barman, S., G.N. Halder, G.N., A mechanistic insight into defluorination of simulated wastewater applying bio‑inspired sodium alginate bead Applied Water Science 10(2020):65 Springer SCI-Expanded
- Mehta T, Anchal, Barman S., Halder G, Verma A, Sportive expulsion of Fipronil (FP) pesticide from aqueous solution by copper doped zeolite composite, International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry, doi.org/10.1080/03067319.2020.17905452020, 2020, (IF- 1.43)
- Gautam, P., Barman S, Ali A, Catalytic performance of cerium modified ZSM-5 zeolite as a catalyst for the esterification of glycerol with acetic acid. International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering, /doi.org/10.1515/ijcre-2020-0081, 2020, (IF- 1.19)
- Barman S., Halder G. Experimental study of biosorption of fluoride by immobilized beads of zeolite NaA and Nostoc sp. (BTA394) using a continuous flow system", Environmental Progress and Sustainable Energy, DOI: 10.1002/ep.13465,2020. (IF 1.3)
- Aanchal, Basu S., Barman S., Complete Removal of Endocrine Disrupting Compound and Toxic Dye by Visible Light Active Porous g-C3N4/H-ZSM-5 Nanocomposite Chemosphere, 241:124981,2020, ( IF 5.08)
- Mukherjee A., Barman S, Halder G, optimizing acrylonitrile grafting onto delignified rice straw via response surface methodology towards its flame retardancy and durability intensification. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 2019, doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2019.102923. 7(1):102923 (IF-4.3)
- Aanchal, Basu S., Barman S., Adsorptive removal of Fipronil, an endocrine disrupter pesticide, from its aqueous solution by metal modified zeolite HZSM-5: equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic study, in Journal of Molecular Liquid.283 (2019)867-873, (IF 4.56)
- Saharan R., Barman S, Halder G, Synthesis of Ethyl Phenol Over Modified HZSM-5 Catalyst in a Fixed Bed Reactor, International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering, 2019, DOI: 10.1515/ijcre-2018-0224, (IF 1.05)
- Banerjee S., Barman S, Halder G, Interlining Cr (VI) remediation mechanism by a novel bacterium Pseudomonas brenneri isolated from coalmine wastewater, Journal of Environmental Management, 233 (2019) 271–282, (IF 5.64)
- Banerjee S., Barman S, Halder G, Elucidation of preferential elimination of Cr(VI) via bioinspired adsorbents: A comparative assessment., Environmental Earth Sciences. 2019 (IF 2.253)
- Goyal, N., Bulasara V.K., Barman S., Removal of emerging contaminants daidzein and coumestrol from water by nano zeolite beta modified with tetrasubstituted ammonium cation, Journal of Hazardous Material, 344 (2018) 417–430 (IF-9.06)
- Goyal, N., Barman S., Bulasara V.K., Efficient removal of bisphenol S from aqueous solution by synthesized nano-zeolite secony mobil-5, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 259(2018)184-194, (IF 4.55)
- Goyal, N., Barman S., Bulasara V.K., Tailoring of nano zeolite NaX for enhanced removal of a phytoestrogen from its aqueous solutions, Separation Science and Technology, (2018) doi.org/10.1080/01496395.2018.1428632, (IF-1.718)
- Thakur R, Barman S, R. K. Gupta, Kinetic investigation in transalkylation of 1,2,4 Trimethyl benzene with Toluene over rare earth metal modified large pore zeolite, Chemical Engineering Communication, 204, (2), 254-264, 2017 ( IF 1.58)
- Thakur R, Barman S, Gupta, R.K., A comparative study of catalytic performance of rare earth metal modified beta zeolites for synthesis of Cymene, Chemical papers. DOI 10.1007/s11696-016-0071-x, January 2017, 71(1),137-148, (IF 1.68)
- Thakur R, Barman S, Halder G., Surface modification of nanocrystalline zeolite X and its application as catalyst in the synthesis of cumene in a packed bed flow reactor: A kinetic study’ International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering. DOI: 10.1515/ijcre-2017-0023,16(2) 2017 (IF-1.152)
- Thakur R, Barman S, A comparative study on catalytic performance of modified nanocrystalline and microcrystalline zeolite X for synthesis of cumene by transalkylation of 1,4 DIPB with benzene:A kinetic study, Kinetics and catalysis 57,5,592-601,2016. ( IF 0.934 )
- Goyal, N., Bulasara V.K., Barman S., Surface modification of synthesized Nano zeolite NaX with TEAOH for removal of Bisphenol A, Chemical Engineering Communications, 203(10),1374-1384, 2016 (IF 1.58)
- Ruchika T., Barman S.,Gupta R.K., Optimization of process parameters for transalkylation of toluene to xylene using response surface methodology, Particulate science and Technology.34(3) 332-340,2016 (IF 1.424)
- Goyal, N., Barman S., Bulasara V. K., Adsorptive removal of Biochanin A , an endocrine disrupting compound from its aqueous solutiom by synthesized nanocrystalline zeolite Na. Desalination and Water Treatment, 57(43) 2016. 20608-20618, (IF1.682)
- Ruchika T., Barman S., Gupta R.K., Synthesis of cumene over modified zeolite beta : A kinetic Study. Brazillian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 33(4), 957-967, 2016, (IF- 0.925 )
- Goyal, N., Barman S., Bulasara V.K., Quaternary ammonium assisted removal and separation of genistein and bisphenol S from aqueous solution by nanozeolite NaY: Equilibrium, kinetic, and thermodynamic studies. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 224,1154-1162,2016, (IF 5.06)
- Garg A, Mainrai M, Bulasara V.K, Barman S., Experimental investigation on adsorption of Amido Black 10B dye onto zeolite synthesized from fly ash, Chemical Engineering Communications, 2015, 202:123–130, (IF-1.58) li>
- Barman, S, Thakur, Gupta R.K., Synthesis of xylene over zeolite catalyst, Indian Journal of Chemical Technology’ 21,2014,379-385 (,IF -0.614)
- Barman, S.; Pradhan, N. C.; Basu, J. K. Kinetics of Alkylation of Benzene with Isopropyl Alcohol Over Ce-exchanged NaX Zeolite. Ind. & Eng.chem.Res. 2005, 44,7313-7319(IF 3.375)
- Barman, S; Pradhan, N. C; Basu, J. K. Alkylation of phenol with methanol over Ce exchanged 13X zeolite catalyst’ Catal.Lett.2006, 111(1-2),67-73.(IF 2.799)
- Barman, S; Pradhan, N.C; Acharya A., Pramanik, P., Kinetics of reductive isopropylation of benzene with acetone over nano copper chromite loaded H-mordenite catalyst’ Ind.& Eng.chem.Res. 2006, 45, 3481-3487, (IF 3.573)
- Barman, S.; Pradhan, N. C; Maity. S. K. Alkylation of Toluene with Isopropyl Alcohol catalyzed by Ce exchanged 13X zeolite catalyst. Chem. Engg. J .2005, 114, 39-45. (IF 10.65)
Publication in SCOPUS journal
- Saini A, Kumar,K., Dutta D., Goyal N., Kinetic and Thermodynamic Study of Thionine Dye Adsorption by Peanut hull, Indian Chemical Engineer, 2020, doi.org/10.1080/00194506.2020.1806739, 2020 (Taylor & Francis)
- Mukherjee S, Barman S, Halder G.N. Fluoride uptake by zeolite NaA synthesized from rice husk: Isotherm, kinetics, thermodynamics and cost estimation, Groundwater for Sustainable Development, 7 (2018) 39–47(Elsevier)
- Banerjee S, Barman S, Halder G, Sorptive elucidation of rice husk ash derived synthetic zeolite towards deionization of coalmine waste water: A comparative study, Groundwater for Sustainable Development 5 (2017) 137–151 (Elsevier)
- Barman, S; Pradhan, N. C; Basu, J. K. Alkylation of benzene with ethyl alcohol over Ce exchanged 13X zeolite catalyst’ Indian Chemical Engineer. 2006, 48(1), 10-17(Taylor & Francis)
- Das S N, Thakur, R. Barman, S., Studies on removal of Safranine-T and Methyl Orange dyes from aqueous solution using zeolite synthesized from fly ash. Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering (CSIR -NEERI) 2012, 54(4) 472-480
International Conferences (7)
- Barman S., Surface modification of beta zeolites to evaluate catalytic performance in transalkylation reaction.’ presented in APCChE-2019, SAPPORO, Japan, 23rd Sep to 27th Sep. 2019
- Goyal N. Thakur R, Barman S., Synthesis of nanocrystalline zeolite and its application to catalysis. Energy material and nano Technology meeting, Proceedings, 26-27, Dubai, 1-4 th April, 2016, organized by OAHOST
- Saini A, Barman S. Adsorption of Thionine Dye from its Aqueous Solution over Peanut Hull as a Low Cost Biosorbent. ICBB 2015, 18th International Conference on Bioinformatics Istanbul, Turkey, May 21-22, International Journal of Bioengineering and Life Sciences Vol 2(5), 2015
- Barman S, Application of nano zeolite for removal of phytoestrogen from waste water’ WCCE9 & APCChE , 2013 Proceedings, Technical Session: Adsorption, Paper no. Tho-T110B. Coex, Seoul, South Korea.
- Thakur R., Barman S, Application of nano zeolite for removal of phytoestrogen from waste water’ WCCE9 & APCChE, 2013 Proceedings, Technical Session: Adsorption, Paper no. Tho-T110B. Coex, Seoul, South Korea.
- Barman, S; Pradhan, N. C., Role of acid strength of modified zeolite over gas phase ethylation of benzene.’ presented on 14th August 2009 in SOMCHE-ICCBPE-2009, University of Malysia, Sabah.pp. 51-55Organized by IchemE
- Barman, S.; Pradhan, N. C.; Acharya, A. and Pramanik, P, Kinetics of Isopropylation of Benzene with Acetone over Nano-CuCr2O4/H-Mordenite; 19th Canadian Symposium on Catalysis, Saskatoon, Canada, May 14-17, 2006, p118
- Aanchal, Barman, S., Basu, S. Elimination of phenylpyrazole insecticide by cerium modified zeolites via adsorption process: Equilibrium and kinetic analysis in ‘ACS Spring 2021’ USA, held in virtual mode, 5th April - 30th April, 2021.
- Aanchal, Basu, S. Barman, S., Poster presentation at national conference, RTCES – 2019 on the topic ‘Efficient Photocatalytic Degradation of Toxic Dye by Visible Light Active Porous g-C3N4/H-ZSM-5 Composite held at Punjabi University, Patiala on February 07-08, 2019.
- Gautam P, Barman S, Ali A., 'Ce modified ZSM-5 zeolite as heterogeneous catalyst for the esterification of glycerol with acetic acid'., NCAFM- 2019, Nov 20-21st, Jamia Milia Islamia New Delhi.2019
- P. Goutam, S. Barman, synthesis of styrene and xylene on K modified beta zeolite: A kinetic study presented in the 71th Annual Session of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, CHEMCON-2018, National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar, Punjab, India, 27–30th December 2018, Oral Session II
- Aanchal, S. Barman, Basu S, Surface modification of H-ZSM5 zeolite for removal of endocrine disruptor pesticides from waste water. Presented in the 71 Annual Session of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, CHEMCON-2018, National Institute of Technology Durgapur, Punjab, India, 27–30th December 2018, Oral Session II.
- N. Goyal, V.K. Bulasara, S. Barman, Tailoring of nano zeolite NaX without addition of structure directing agent for the enhanced removal of phytoestrogen from aqueous solution”, Presented in the International Conference on Nanotechnology Applications: Chemical, Energy and Environment, NACEE-2017, Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology (SVNIT) Surat, India, during 22-23rd March, 2017. Oral Session I.
- N. Goyal, S. Barman, V.K. Bulasara, Adsorptive removal of nonylphenol (an endocrine disruptor compound) from aqueous phase by zeolite synthesized from coal fly ash”, Presented in the 68th Annual Session of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, CHEMCON-2015, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati, Assam, India, 27–30th December 2015, Oral Session II, Paper ID: WW 074.
- N. Goyal, S. Barman, V.K. Bulasara, Synthesis of nano zeolite and its removal for EDC’s from wastewater. International Conference on Recent Advances in Nano Science and Technology (RAINSAT-2015) Chennai. July 8th -10th 2015.
- R, Thakur, S. Barman, Synthesis of nano X and its application for transalkylation. Synthesis of nano zeolite and its removal for EDC’s from wastewater. International Conference on Recent Advances in Nano Science and Technology (RAINSAT-2015) Chennai. July 8th -10th 2015.
- N. Goyal, S. Barman, V.K. Bulasara, Synthesis of Cumene by Transalkylation over Large Pore Zeolite. CHEMCON -2014, Punjab University, Chandigarh Dec 27th -Dec 30th , 2014.
- R, Thakur, S. Barman, A comparative study of bioadsorbents for the removal of thionine dye from synthetic waste water. CHEMCON -2014, Punjab University, Chandigarh Dec 27th -Dec 30th ,2014.
- S. Barman, V.K. Bulasara, Removal of Amido Black 10B dye from its aqueous solution by adsorption with zeolite synthesized from fly ash. 65th Annual Session of the Indian Chemical Engineering Congress, CHEMCON–2012, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar, India, 27th–30th December 2012,
- S. Barman, A. Garg, Removal of Amido Black 10B dye from its aqueous solution by adsorption with zeolite synthesized from fly ash. 65th Annual Session of the Indian Chemical Engineering Congress, CHEMCON–2012, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar, India, 27th–30th December 2012
Membership of Expert Committees/Statutory Bodies
- Life member, Indian Institute of Chemical Engineer
- MHRD Scholarship (GATE) for M.E, 2000
- Senior Research Fellowship from CSIR, 2001
- MHRD fellowship from 2003
- International travel grant from AICTE for attending Conference ICCBPE in Malaysia,2009
- International travel grant from DST for attending conference APCCHE-2019 at Sapporo JAPAN.
- Rawat, M., Sharma,D., Sharma, J., Ahuja S.K. Chandra,A., Barman,S and Arya R.K., Introduction to Polymeric Coatings in book ‘Polymer coating technologies and applications’ 2020.
- Sharma,D., Rawat, M., Sharma, J., Ahuja S.K. Chandra,A., Barman,S and Arya R.K., Polymer Coatings Methods, in book ‘Polymer coating technologies and applications’ 2020.
- Sharma, J., Sharma,D., Rawat, M., Ahuja S.K. Chandra,A., Barman,S and Arya R.K., Morphology of Polymer Coatings, in book ‘Polymer coating technologies and applications 2020.
- Sharma, J.,Sharma,D., Rawat, M., Ahuja S.K. Chandra, A., Barman, S and Arya R.K., Spectroscopic Analysis of Polymer Coatings, in book ‘Polymer coating technologies and applications ' 2020.
- Sarkar G.S., Rathi A., Basu S., Arya R.K., Halder G., Barman S., Removal of endocrine-disrupting compounds by wastewater stream.In; advanced industrial wastewater treatment and reclamation of water. (Springer Nature)ISBN 978-3-030-83811-9
Message to Students & Community